Acting President Ranil Wickremesinghe today made a special statement on the measures that have been taken and are to be implemented to resolve the various issues in Sri Lanka.
Following are 09 key facts from the Acting President’s special statement:
- The 19th Amendment would be re-introduced which would address many of the concerns of the public.
- All the political parties have been urged to put aside their differences and come together to form an All-Party Government.
- Peaceful protesters who had legitimate concerns would be engaged by the Government and solutions would be found for them.
- Negotiations with the International Monetary Fund were nearing conclusion, and discussions for assistance with foreign countries were also progressing.
- Requesting the assistance of the UK Government and their intelligence services for a complete investigation into the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks.
- The gas shortage in the country has been resolved.
- The fuel shortage has been solved, with diesel stocks being distributed, while from the 21st of July petrol will be distributed, and a reduction in fuel prices.
- Since assuming duties as Prime Minister, power cuts lasting 5 hours a day have been reduced to 3 hours a day.
- Fertilizer has been provided to the farmers and loans taken by paddy farmers who have planted fields less than 2 acres have been cancelled. (NewsWire)