Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe says he will function as the Acting President of Sri Lanka until a new President is elected in Parliament.
Making a special statement today, Wickremesinghe said he will temporarily function as the Acting President during this period.
Ranil Wickremesinghe further announced that two key decisions have been taken by him after being appointed as the Acting President of Sri Lanka.
He said the first is that the reference term used for the President, “His Excellency”, will not be used anymore.
The second is that the official flag of the President will be abolished since the country needs only one national flag, Wickremesinghe added.
PM Ranil Wickremesinghe also highlighted the following key measures that are to be taken during his temporary stint as Acting President of Sri Lanka.
- Steps are underway to present the necessary Bills to reinstate the 19th Amendment to the Constitution.
- Measures are being taken for the new President who will be elected next week to present the 19th Amendment to Parliament.
- Steps have been taken to ensure law and order are maintained in the country.
- Increased security for MPs as there are attempts being made to mount pressure on them on electing a new President.
- A committee comprising tri-forces and Police has been appointed to ensure law and order in the country.
- All parties have been urged to come to a common consensus on the establishment of an All-Party Interim Government.
The Acting President concluded that he will safeguard the Constitution, will not permit any action that violates the Constitution, will unite all parties, and work together for the betterment of the country. (NewsWire)